Performance/stability problems on PowerEdge 1950

Sturgis, Grant Grant.Sturgis at arraybiopharma.com
Fri Dec 15 10:23:53 CST 2006

Greetings,

We received the below tech note from an ISV that we use that uses the
1950.  Is it relevant to this particular problem, and does it fix the
issue?  We don't know the answers to this because we don't have a 1950....

HTH

Tech note:
--------------------

Hello,
Below please find information on a critical update from Dell that needs
to be applied immediately to all <ISV> devices that are Dell 1950s.

Package Version - 5.0.2-0003
Firmware Version - 1.00.01-0157
SASBIOS Version - MT23
Ctrl-R Version - 1.02-007
MPT Version - 00.06.71.00-IT

Fixes:
Addresses potential issue with PERC 5 controllers that may become
unresponsive on systems with 8GB of memory or more. This fix corrects an
issue on systems with 8+ GB of memory PERC 5 controllers may become
unresponsive. If the affected controller is the boot device this would
cause an OS crash, hang, or bluescreen. If not the boot controller the
system would experience timeouts (event 129 and 9 in windows, IO aborts
in Linux). Once the controller is in this state it will not return to
operation until the system has rebooted, any storage connected to the
controller will not be accessible until the reboot. This has now been
corrected.