Questions about the EMC AX150 and AX150i systems

Matthew Schumacher matt.s at aptalaska.net
Tue Dec 12 00:47:10 CST 2006

I have budgeted for a san next year and want to move away from disks in
servers and move toward diskless machines.  The plan is to use pxelinux
to pass a kernel/initrd to the system where it will point to an iscsi
target and mount it as root.  This will allow me to centralize the
storage for all of my servers to san.

That said there are a zillion options to do iscsi and I'm having trouble
discerning which box to buy.

One option is to buy the sanrad iscsi controller and plug it into a jbod
 with fiber channel.  If I did this then I would use the EMC AX150 or a
nexsan sataboy.

Another option is to purchase the AX150i and do iscsi natively from it.

So the question becomes: does anyone have an AX150 or AX150i?  How linux
friendly are they?  Do they require windows to setup, monitor, or manage
(I don't have a windows server)?  What about the performance?  Can I use
raid 1+0 with 8 disks and reasonably get 200mb per second?  What is the
OS/firmware on these boxes.

Thanks,
schu