PERC 5/i question

Matt Richardson marichar at csusb.edu
Mon Dec 11 18:41:46 CST 2006

Well, two questions.  OK, maybe three.

Is there an advantage to running software raid vs hardware raid?

Is it possible to configure a PERC 5/i (in a PE2950) to not act as a
raid controller?

Last question (for now anyway), anyone have any luck with the Etch
installer (amd64) on a 2950?

This may be dumb, but I was looking at using software raid (mdadm) with
lvm2 to run multiple xen guests.  It seems that a good configuration
would be to have a raid1 /boot and a raid5 with lvm for the rest of the
filesystems.  This is all new to me as I used hardware raid on my
previous PEs, no lvm.  However, I like the flexibility lvm offers,
especially with xen guests.

thanks,
Matt

--