RHEL 4 - LastFailedSense 0x08 - drive not ready for command

Michael Furdyk mfurdyk at takingitglobal.org
Mon Dec 11 16:57:18 CST 2006

Over the last few months several of our 1850 servers have crashed with
crazy scrolling of messages like this.

All of them are RAID 1:

Hdf: status timeout: error=0x84Aborted Command LastFailedSense 0x08
Hdf: drive not ready for command
Hdf: status timeout: status=0xc1 { Busy }
Hdf: status timeout: error=0x84Aborted Command LastFailedSense 0x08
Hdf: drive not ready for command
Hdf: status timeout: status=0xc1 { Busy }

Rebooting solves the problem and everything is fine for a few more weeks
/ months until this happens again. All patches/rhn is up to date.

Anyone else seen this? It happened again today and I was out of the
office, and caused a lot of downtime on an important server so it's now
getting on my nerves :)

- Michael

Michael Furdyk | Director of Technology
TakingITGlobal | http://www.takingitglobal.org