kernel not seeing all the RAM in a PE2900

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at
Fri Aug 11 15:48:15 CDT 2006

On 8/11/06, Greg Dickie <greg at> wrote:
> Hi,
>   This might be a FAQ but I've never seen it before. In our Woodcrest
> PE2900s with 4GB of RAM the kernel (2.6.17) is only reporting 3.3GB of
> physical RAM. Anyone seen that or know how to fix it?

I am guessing you're system is hitting the issue listed here.

You need to have  a kernel with PAE, and make sure that 2900's BIOS is
up 2 date in case there are any BIOS/chipset bugs that do not allow
this to work.