Service Tag change

Ciaran_Mallin@Dell.com Ciaran_Mallin at Dell.com
Mon Sep 19 03:42:48 CDT 2005

Hi Folks

The utility is called asset.com & can be found here: ftp://ftp.us.dell.com/utility/BR105717.exe

Syntax is below (copied from documentation):

Asset Tag Utility
The Asset Tag utility (asset.com) allows an asset tag code for the computer to be entered into NVRAM.

NOTE: The Asset Tag utility works only on systems running MS-DOS. However, the user can view the asset tag code under any operating system by viewing the System Setup screen.
Assigning and Deleting an Asset Tag Code in Windows
To use Windows to assign an asset tag code, hold down the <CTRL> key while double-clicking the Control Panel icon. Then double-click on the Admin icon and follow the directions.
Assigning and Deleting an Asset Tag Code in MS-DOS
An asset tag code can have up to 10 characters; any combination of characters excluding spaces is valid. To assign or change an asset tag code, type
asset at the operating system prompt, and then a space followed by the new number, then press <ENTER>. For example, if the asset tag code is 1234567890, type the following and press <ENTER>:

asset 1234567890

When asked
Are you sure? [y,n], press <Y> and then press <ENTER>.
The computer then displays the new or modified asset tag code as well as the service tag code Dell assigned to the computer.
To view an existing asset tag code, type
asset /? and press <ENTER>.
To delete the asset tag code without assigning a new one, type
asset /d and press <ENTER>.
To add a new service tag, type
asset /s and press <ENTER>.

Regards, Ciarán

Ciarán Mallin

Dell Server Support
Dell Inc.
UK 0870 90 80 500
IRL 1850 543 543
Mailto:ciaran_mallin at dell.com

FileWatch
Receive emails on newly posted downloads for your products.
<http://support.dell.com/support/notifications/filewatch.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen>
Note: File Watch is designed for advanced users comfortable with updating and maintaining product software.
On-line access, 24 hours a day
Online Help | <http://support.euro.dell.com/uk/en/>
Online File Library | <http://support.euro.dell.com/uk/en/filelib/>
Service Call Status | <http://support.euro.dell.com/uk/en/ECare/Form/SCSIndex.asp>
Server Support email | <http://support.euro.dell.com/uk/en/EmailDell/EmailTechSupport.asp>

The information in this document has been reviewed and is believed to be accurate. However, neither Dell Incorporated nor its affiliates assume any responsibility for inaccuracies, errors, or omissions that may be contained herein. In no event will Dell Incorporated or its affiliates be liable for direct, indirect, special, incidental, or consequential damages resulting from any defect or omission in this document, even if advised of the possibility of such damages. Dell Incorporated reserves the right to make improvements or changes to this document and the products and services described at any time, without notice or obligation. This information applies to the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland only , unless specifically stated otherwise.