About IPMI

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Mon Nov 28 14:31:40 CST 2005

On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 03:36:17PM -0600, Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 03:38:21AM -0600, hai wu wrote:
> >    Is it Ok to use the same server IP address as the IP address for IPMI
> >    configured in Dell BIOS? If so, IPMI would still help us since it provides
> >    convenient command line tool to remote reboot server. BTW, we have DRAC
> >    for all our servers, so we don't want to use another dedicated IP address
> >    just for IPMI.
>
> The IPMI controller has a different MAC address than the system NIC it
> shares the physical port with.  Therefore, it needs its own IP
> address.

I was reminded that in fact, the PowerEdge 1855 blade servers actually
do have the IPMI controller share the IP address of the system NIC,
but it captures traffic destined for 623/tcp, so the host OS can't use
that port (so hacks like fake xinetd service entries are needed to
prevent the host OS from using them.)  Needless to say, that's not
exactly elegant, so it's not the standard design, nor one we want to
promulgate to other platforms if we can avoid it.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch