FC3 and Dell 2850

Steven Jones Steven.Jones at vuw.ac.nz
Thu Jul 28 16:30:59 CDT 2005

I am assuming FC3 is very similar to RHAS here.

On RHAS3-64 Redhat told me not to use the SMP kernel on the 2850s as
that was designed for the Opteron and not the Xeon+ CPUs, (ie real 64bit
CPUS and not joke ones from Intel) so the non-smp kernel maybe what you
want as using the wrong one is unstable as I found out.

Try booting with that and run cat /proc/cpuinfo and see if it shows more
than one cpu, this command is for 2.4.x so the path might differ on
2.6.x, if it does show more than one you have smp anyway. Then see if
its stable.

Also make sure you are on A02 bios (unless A03 is out).

Regards

thing