2161DS and Linux?

Chuck Stuettgen cstuettgen at myrealbox.com
Thu Jul 28 12:43:46 CDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 11:36 +0200, wolf2k5 wrote:
> On 7/19/05, Chuck Stuettgen <cstuettgen at myrealbox.com> wrote:
> > I have been using the Linux client to connect to three 2161DS's for a
> > couple of years.  It works exactly the same as the Windows client. I
> > have never had a problem using it.
>
> How is the client called? Where can I download it?
>
> Thanks.

It is included on the CD that comes with the unit but I recommend you
download the latest version from the Dell Support Site.  The file to
download is called R84709.EXE you can get it here

	ftp.dell.com/app/R84709.EXE

The download is a self extracting exe file which 55MB in size and
includes both the Windows an Linux client.  If you have WINE installed
you can extract the files with this command -  wine R84709.EXE.  You can
extract them to the default location or use the browse button to put the
files in the folder you want.

The Linux client is called setup.bin and is 39MB in size. You need to be
root to install it.  The command to install is - ./setup.bin if you are
in the same folder as the file.

The Linux client setup file does not include an icon, so if you want to
setup a launcher, you will need to use a icon extraction utility to
extract the icon out of the Windows executable.

HTH