Fedora Core 3 (or 4) on Poweredge 1850

TSI dell at technosoft.com
Sun Jul 24 07:53:21 CDT 2005

Hello,

We have a cluster of several x86 DELL machines (400SC, etc.) all
successfully running Fedora Core 3 for some time. We have recently
purchased multiple new Poweredge 1850 servers to add to the cluster.

To maintain perfect compatibility with the existing cluster, I would
like to run Fedora Core 3 on these new servers. However, I have seen
several messages mentioning problems with FC3 on these machines.

Can I get a definitive answer regarding compatibility? If not FC3, my
next choice would be Fedora Core 4. Does anyone have specific experience
with FC4 on the 1850s?

For reference, my configuration is as follows:
Dual Xeon 3GHz
2GB RAM
Dual 73GB 10K SCSI drives
NO RAID
NO REDUNDANT POWER SUPPLY

People have reported problems with the PERC raid controller and FC3, but
  since I do not have the controller, will I have any trouble? I have
also seen mention of problems with the Gigabit network cards. Does
anyone know if these issues have been resolved with FC4?

Thanks,

Best Regards,

TSI.