Advice please for an aacraid issue

Eberhard Moenkeberg emoenke at gwdg.de
Fri Jul 22 15:41:22 CDT 2005

Hi,

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005, John Logsdon wrote:

> PE 2650, Perc3/Di, Container A is RAID1 and container B is RAID5.
>
> last message in the logs:

> Jul 21 02:31:40 unix kernel: aacraid: Host adapter reset request. SCSI
> hang ?
>
> after that, while the system can do some things, there are lots of files
> that are not available giving
>
> ?---------- ? ?
>
> for ls -l.
>
> Things like / are noted as read-only filesystem, the permissions for /root
> have been changed to d-wx------ and other nasties.
>
> The partitions involved include the following directories, which are all
> in container A:
>
> /boot
> /usr
> /usr/local
> /var
>
> So even rebooting is dangerous.
>
> Container B seems OK and I have an external USB drive that is working fine
> - it contains the snapshots so I have a backup of all the important stuff.
>
> What is the best way to return this to a working and reliable box?  I have
> seen mention of replacing the raid card with a megaraid card.  Will Dell
> do this sort of thing under warranty?  I have seen many reports of
> problems with aacraid but so far it has been fine.
>
> Is there anything I can do without rebooting?

You can do nothing but rebooting.
But your chances are best that it will work after booting just like
nothing has happened before...

I guess it is just the old old aacraid driver bug which is triggering the
old old firmware bug which did not get fixed, not get fixed again and
again.

> Advice please?

You will grow up and get old with this bug, I guess.

Cheers -e
--
Eberhard Moenkeberg (emoenke at gwdg.de, em at kki.org)