Advice please for an aacraid issue

John Logsdon j.logsdon at
Fri Jul 22 14:54:27 CDT 2005

PE 2650, Perc3/Di, Container A is RAID1 and container B is RAID5.

last message in the logs:

Jul 21 02:31:40 unix kernel: aacraid: Host adapter reset request. SCSI
hang ?

after that, while the system can do some things, there are lots of files
that are not available giving

?---------- ? ?

for ls -l.

Things like / are noted as read-only filesystem, the permissions for /root
have been changed to d-wx------ and other nasties.

The partitions involved include the following directories, which are all
in container A:

So even rebooting is dangerous.

Container B seems OK and I have an external USB drive that is working fine
- it contains the snapshots so I have a backup of all the important stuff.

What is the best way to return this to a working and reliable box?  I have
seen mention of replacing the raid card with a megaraid card.  Will Dell
do this sort of thing under warranty?  I have seen many reports of
problems with aacraid but so far it has been fine.

Is there anything I can do without rebooting?

Advice please?

John Logsdon                               "Try to make things as simple
Quantex Research Ltd, Manchester UK         as possible but not simpler"
j.logsdon at              a.einstein at
+44(0)161 445 4951/G:+44(0)7717758675