your mail

jason andrade jason at rtfmconsult.com
Fri Jul 22 01:05:22 CDT 2005

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005, David Harris wrote:

> We have a dell power edge 2500 with an LSI PERC3/DC SCSI raid card, the
> system rebooted this morning and reported 1 Logical drive failed.  Also
> before the reboot operating system Red Hat ES was scrolling the error
> ext3-fs error (device sd(8,1)) in ext3_reserve_inode_write: IO failure.  Any
> idea on where I can go from here?

you may have a failed disk in your pe2500.

you may want to lodge a service call with dell to replace the disk if you
can identify it.

the simplest way to do this may be to shut the system down and then reboot
and use the raid BIOS to investigate which drive has failed.  this is usually
simpler than using the online raid management tools.

regards,

-jason