OMSA alert script - Alert, Raid and Sensor data question

Björn Augustsson august at
Fri Jul 15 06:26:58 CDT 2005

On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 12:02:27PM -0700, Lutz Birkhahn wrote:
> Robert Oschwald wrote:
> > currently I'm implementing an alert script which informs me about OMSA
> > alerts. As there are no parameters given by OMSA when calling the script, I
> > try to get needful things (alert message etc.) via racadm etc.
> >
> > Has someone successfully implemented such queries?
> I solved this with multiple names for the alert script (using soft links),
> but that only gives the alert type, not any details.
> E.g. alert_tempfail is a soft link to the "generic" script omsa_alert,
> which starts with
>    ProgName=$(basename $0)
>    # remove the leading "alert_" (bash syntax):
>    EventName=${ProgName#alert_}
>    case $EventName in
>       tempfail)
>          # alert-specific actions go here
>          ;;
>    esac
> each script is installed with it's specific name, like
>    /usr/bin/omconfig system alertaction event=tempfail \
>          execappath=/usr/local/bin/alert_tempfail

Here's what I did (This is from the kickstart %post, but can just be
pasted into a terminal for retrofits.)

        # Make us get mail for all alerts:
        echo '#!/bin/sh
        echo "Trouble on `uname -n`"
        echo "\"omreport system alertlog\":"
        omreport system alertlog
) | mail -s "OMSA alert on `uname -n`!" suitable_address at
        chmod 755 $OMSA_MAIL
        for i in `omconfig system alertaction -? | grep ^event= | cut -d= -f2 |
cut -d" " -f1`
                omconfig system alertaction event=$i broadcast=true \

That way you get the whole alert log mailed to you whatever happened, which
is useful, since it might contain clues in the history.

Possibly I should include "omreport system esmlog" as well in there.

Björn Augustsson      Sysadmin     IT Systems & Services
Chalmers tekniska högskola     Chalmers University of Technology
         "Damn spooky analog crap." -- John Carmack.