PE2650: RH ES 4: sensors_detect freezes machine - TSC cannot beused as a timesource

Sean Dilda agrajag at
Tue Jul 12 08:10:42 CDT 2005

Steven Dick wrote:
> On 7/11/05, Sean Dilda <agrajag at> wrote:
>>I've tried ipmitool, and wouldn't mind using it, except that it seems to
>>take about 5 minutes to probe all the sensors.  Have you found any way
>>around that?
> If I understood it correctly, IPMI takes so long because it has to
> query the handle number for each variable.  It is possible to cache
> these handles, and then it can query everything in about 5 seconds or
> something like that.

Thanks for the info.  Someone told me that 'sdr caching' helps a lot,
not sure if this is the same thing or not.  Unfortunately, I've not
found any tools that'll actually do it.  Do you know of any?