RHEL 4 + PE 1850 + EMC AX100 PowerPath

jason andrade jason at rtfmconsult.com
Mon Jul 11 01:22:57 CDT 2005

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 JACOB_LIBERMAN at dell.com wrote:

hi jacob,

> Running GFS on a single node (in an SLM configuration) also presents a
> single point of failure. It would be preferable to use the Redundant
> Lock Manager file locking mechanism if you have the hardware capacity.
> You can run the lock manager service on hosts that are not physically
> connected to the array as long as they have network access to the other
> lock management servers.

i was speaking with someone about this (we're looking at running GFS
on a RHEL4 deployment) and a couple of things came out which i'm
trying to get redhat to clarify..

o you deploy the gfs lock manager in 1, 3, 5 etc numbers - has this
   changed in 6.X ? i believe the idea was you couldn't just deploy
   2 hosts as lock managers for redundancy to avoid deadlocking

o you had to buy extra licences to be able to run multiple lock managers.
   is this not actually the case ?

regards,

-jason