Accessing the BMC when the system is off?

Chris T. Purcell c_purcell at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 10 02:11:40 CDT 2005

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 14:48:12 +1000
Andrew Pollock <andrew-dell at andrew.net.au> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just bought an 1850, and I'm running Debian 3.1 (sarge) on it, but this
> problem isn't really Linux specific.
>
> I'm playing around with the BMC and IPMI (using ipmitool), and I've got it
> working, except that when the system is powered off (but the power is
> connected) the BMC no longer responds. I know it doesn't respond to pings at
> the best of times, but when the system is powered up, if I ping it from a
> locally attached box, I get an ARP response. When the system is powered
> off, I don't even get that ARP response.

Why would you get an ARP response? The BMC is NOT a network card. I repeat, the BMC is NOT a network card. There is no reason the BMC should ever respond to pings.
That being said, have you tried using ipmitool to get information from the BMC with the system powered down or was your only test one that is designed to fail?

--
Chris

"A world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible."
- Neo from 'The Matrix' (another satisfied Linux user)