2650 resetting HBA SCSI id

jason andrade jason at rtfmconsult.com
Fri Jul 8 16:25:37 CDT 2005

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005, Greg Cope, e-DBA Team wrote:

> We are planning to connect 2 2650's to a Sun D1000 Disk array (simple
> SCSI enclosure), to do share SCSI for RAC/Clustering work.

you are brave.

> Is it only possible to reset the AIC7xxx HBA SCSI id via the bios util?

as far as i know. i haven't seen any OS level tools to do this as yet.

> Also I assume they have a 68Pin SCSI connector on the board?  When can I
> get more infor on this from dell?

that may not be an accurate assumption - aic7XXX covers many different
types of adapter.  are you thinking about using the 'on board' scsi to
do this ? if so that won't work as i don't think it has an external
connector on the 2650.  i think you'll need to buy a scsi card for each of
your 2650s to do this - in which case yes, most modern cards are either a
68pin or a VHDCI connector.  but you can of course ensure you buy one with
68pin.

> Any any guides/info on doing shared SCSI with 2650?

google ? about the only advice i'd offer is make sure your terminations
are all well tested.  many of the problems i've seen have been related
to incorrect termination. i'm not a fan of shared scsi.

regards,

-jason