PE2650: RH ES 4: sensors_detect freezes machine - TSC cannot be used as a timesource

Peter Kjellström cap at
Fri Jul 8 10:07:31 CDT 2005

This is not a complete answer to your problem(s). Just some inline comments.

On Friday 08 July 2005 16.15, Robert Oschwald wrote:
> As we are on RH ES4 because of the PERC3/Di issue, we found another
> problem:
> sensors_detect fully freezes the machine.

sensors_detect (as part of lm_sensors) is an ugly and dangerous hack. do you
really intend to use lm_sensors?

> Sometimes we get the message
> "loosing too many ticks!"
> "TSC cannot be used as a timesource"
> and then full freeze.
> We had this problem with SuSE 9.2/9.3 also.
> Do we have a HW Problem or is this a sw issue?
> System is running 2x2GHz XEON, RedHat ES 4 SMP Kernel.

might, as allways, try to upgrade to latest bios (sorry for stating the

> Thanks,
> Robert

  Peter Kjellström               |
  National Supercomputer Centre  |