Short documentation: Dell OMSA 4.4 on Debian Sarge

Achim Bohnet ach at mpe.mpg.de
Fri Jul 8 09:13:25 CDT 2005

On Friday 08 July 2005 10:09, Pauli Borodulin wrote:
> Heya!

Thanks a lot for your execllent work!

> > On Fri, 8 Jul 2005, Pauli Borodulin wrote:
> >> Do you mean something similar to Dell's approach of compiling the
> >> kernel modules on boot up for the currently running kernel?
>
> Tomas Pospisek's Mailing Lists wrote:
> > No I mean something you can:
>
> > # cd omsa-drivers_4.4
> > # dpkg-buildpackage
> > # dpkg -i ../*deb

Tomas: Why not support it the way make-kpkg and module-assistant
use it?  In another message it you mention and like them
That's the standard the way kernel drivers are build into a
.deb.

I'll have a go and try to build a 'debian-way' osma-module-source
deb.  I've never done it but should not that much harder than
pkging apps ;)

[...]
> > The idea being that dependency management is preserved and the modules
> > can be moved about as wanted.
>
> I wonder if this will be tricky. Binary-only OMSA driver .deb would have
> to depend on some specific kernel package, because you want to ensure
> that the kernel the driver are going to be used on has CONFIG_REGPARM
> option enabled.

When building from source it once can check the config file of the
kernel.  And to be honest best would be if the module itself checks
that the kernel supports it.  Another pre-inst check of
/boot/config-`uname -r` will not hurt, but I pre-inst scripts are
tricky to get right.

Achim
[...]
                                      -- reddy at lion.austin.ibm.com