Short documentation: Dell OMSA 4.4 on Debian Sarge

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at
Fri Jul 8 07:52:25 CDT 2005

On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 10:39:14AM +0200, Tomas Pospisek's Mailing Lists wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Jul 2005, Buchan Milne wrote:
> >
> > Tomas Pospisek's Mailing Lists wrote:
> >
> >> Note that it's exactly what Debian's make-kpgk/module-assistant does
> >> also. I remember when Dell was inquiring about implementing dkms on
> >> linux-kernel I wrote the person from Dell in question and asked about
> >> collaborating with Debian, since they allready had the necessary
> >> infrastructure. The interest in making an effort to have a common
> >> infrastructure instead of reinventing the whell from Dell's (or better
> >> that Dell employe's) side was pretty very low at the time [1].
> >>
> >> In order to bring dkms up to speed on Debian someone would need to patch
> >> it. Is Dell ready to do that work or to accept those patches?
> >
> > They did for adding the "mkrpm" subcommand:
> >

> Yup. But AFAI can see Dell is supporting Red Hat Enterprise and that's
> where mk*rpm* does fit in. If Dell is willing make its product
> compatible with Linux in general (among which Debian etc.) is what I am
> asking.

DKMS is an open source project, it's mailing list is
dkms-devel at  Patches sent there will gladly be
reviewed, and if appropriate, applied.  Most of the SuSE capabilities in
DKMS were contributed by engineers from IBM.  The engineers at Dell most
active with DKMS development are much less familiar with Debian, but
we'd have no problems incorporating Debian capabilities if someone
implemented it.

Matt Domsch
Software Architect
Dell Linux Solutions &