Which raid card in a PE 2850?

Chris T. Purcell c_purcell at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 7 00:24:10 CDT 2005

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 11:21:35 +1000
"Matt Eckhaus" <matt.e at wickedweasel.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm selecting a raid card to use in a new PE 2850, split backplane RAID 1 +
> RAID 5, with 4 drives on the RAID 5 array. The server will be running
> RedHat.
>
> I'm not sure of the pros & cons of the different RAID options offered by
> Dell: can anyone tell me the practical differences between the PERC4ei,
> PERC4/DC and PERC4eDC-PCI Express. The critera are RAID performance and
> compatibility with Linux drivers.
>
> Thanks,
> Matt

1) Those 3 controllers all use the same driver. megaraid2, megaraid_mbox, depending upon your OS/kernel version.
2) The Perc4e/Di is onboard, the DCs are both PCI cards. One uses a normal PCI bus, the other the PCI Express bus.

I would recommend the Perc4e/DC-PCI Express.

--
Chris

"A world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible."
- Neo from 'The Matrix' (another satisfied Linux user)