Alter RHEL3 low memory countermeasures?

lars@levonline.com lars at levonline.com
Wed Jul 6 14:30:07 CDT 2005

Hi David,

Maybe this is not what you asked for... I would use nagios to monitor
your server. When the load/memory usage/whatever gets to high nagios can
execute a script (or anything else) on your server by ssh for example
that kills the offending program.

This usualy works great. If you put your monitoring threashold on a
reasonable level you/nagios should be able to fix the problem before it
crashes the server.

Another good thing as you mention (try the other way arount, give you
memory hungry processes niced to a positive number and let other
processes have their normal prio).  Since sshd draws no cpu/memory to
speak of compared to your cpu-and-memory hungry programs will still have
access to allmost the same amount of cpu-time.

regards
/Lars