DRAC III/XT & 2.6 Kernel

Brian Downey linuxpe-dell at thelinuxfix.com
Tue Jul 5 21:51:58 CDT 2005

On Jul 5, 2005, at 4:27 PM, Brian Downey wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Has there been any resolution to the keyboard redirection issue with
> the 2.6 kernel series and DRAC III  (3) controllers?   The specific
> problem I'm referencing is dialoged in this thread:
>
> http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2005-April/
> 020296.html
>
> In summary of the above, I lose all keyboard usage in Linux after to
> boot loader.  I'm running Linux 2.6.11.
>
> My remote PE box with a DRAC III in it is waiting for a "y" on fsck
> after a reboot.  It would be wonderful if I could actually use the
> DRAC!  At least I can see what it wants, at least :-/

Just wanted to shoot an update out to folks that may be in the same
situation.

It's *possible* to use the keyboard.  You must supply the
i8042.dumbkbd=1 argument to the kernel as referenced in the above
thread.  You'll get many, many dupes when typing.

The workaround--and get ready, it's a hairpuller--is to hit the
Control key before every single character you type, like this:
Control, wait, "A"  control, wait, "B", and so on.  You have to get
the timing just right.  Fortunately this works correctly with the
backspace key as well.  Don't forget... Control, wait, ENTER too!

But in the case of a downed server where it's waiting for a single
keystroke, this could help out quite a few folks...

Dell, please fix this bug!!  We paid honest money for our DRACs and
it'd be nice if they worked as advertised.

-B