What constitutes a "hung" system under OpenManage?

Kevin Myer kevin_myer at iu13.org
Tue Jul 5 19:24:34 CDT 2005

Hello,

The default Action of Open Manage is "None" when a server is detected as hung.
I changed that setting to "Power Cycle" yesterday when I upgraded OM to 4.4 on
a proxy server.  Today, that server rebooted and upon review of the logs, I
determined it was the Auto Recovery feature that did it.

So my question is - what constitutes a hung server?  This proxy is running
squid, and from reviewing some squid statistics that I monitor, it looks like
it was generating abnormally high pagefaults prior to the reboot.  So a
possible explanation for a hung server is one that isn't responsive, but it
still alive.  Or is there a specific hardware or software watchdog that is
monitored to determine if a server is hung and trigger auto recovery?

Server is a PowerEdge 2550, running RHEL 4, Update 1.

Kevin

--
Kevin M. Myer
Senior Systems Administrator