trying to build the OMSA kernel modules

Pauli Borodulin pauli.borodulin at uta.fi
Tue Jul 5 16:02:20 CDT 2005

Tomas Pospisek's Mailing Lists wrote:
> No, that's fine, grepping through .config made me find the culprit.
> 2.6.12.2 running here ;-)!

Great! :) I hope you remembered to enable CONFIG_REGPARM, "use register
params" kernel option before compiling. It's marked EXPERIMENTAL, but
don't care about that. Redhat has been using this option for a long
time. There's plans to make it default in the future. Anyway, this
option has to be enabled, otherwise when loading the OMSA driver
modules, the server will hang.

 >> [...]

> I'd be happy to get the OMSA drivers in whatever way you please - I'm
> getting this when compiling them through DKS (hell, those scripts are
> O-V-E-R-K-I-L-L):

I see some point in them, but... don't get it ;-) I wish they just made
a generic installation tar with some installation/helper scripts. Then
it would be a lot more easier to package it for many different
distributions. Just hook up the package installation script to call
those and so on...

> # ./instsvcdrv start
> Starting Systems Management Device Drivers:
> Building dcdbas device driver using DKS:
> make: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.12.2'
>   CC [M]  /opt/dell/srvadmin/hapi/drivers/x86/dks/build/dcdbas/dcddks.o
> /opt/dell/srvadmin/hapi/drivers/x86/dks/build/dcdbas/dcddks.c: In
> function `esm_verify_area_write':
> /opt/dell/srvadmin/hapi/drivers/x86/dks/build/dcdbas/dcddks.c:575:
> warning: `verify_area' is deprecated (declared at include/asm/uaccess.h:105)

These "warning: `verify_area' is deprecated" lines can be safely ignored
for now. The function 'verify_area' is deprecated, meaning it will
disappear from the newer kernel versions. Probably not tomorrow, but
some day. Dell will probably replace these calls in future using the new
function (access_ok() IIRC).

 > [...]
>   MODPOST
> *** Warning: "dcd_init"
> [/opt/dell/srvadmin/hapi/drivers/x86/dks/build/dcdbas/dcdbas.ko] undefined!

These warnings are fatal, even tho' you get some modules. The compiler
is telling you that there are some function calls in dcdbas.ko file that
aren't defined. This means that there's stuff missing from the dcdbas.ko
file. The culprit is that the makefiles provided with the driver modules
are a bit broken and the precompiled objects files don't get included
(linked) into dcdbas.ko (and other *.ko files) when compiled by instsvcdrv.

 > [...]

>> PS. Did you read my email about my "Dell OMSA 4.4 on Debian Sarge"
>> documentation? I really recommend using my init.d script for loading
>> the kernel modules instead that instsvcdrv script.

For others interested in this document -- it's still unfinished. I hope
to be able to finish it by the end of this week. After that, I will ask
someone at Dell to read it (just for sure) and tell me if it's okay to
publish it. It will probably take some days for them to respond about it.

> Yes, I am right now. I have to figure out how to clean up my system here
> from my own trials. I'll give you feedback ASAP.

Use my OMSA 4.4 driver modules tar file to install the modules. Then you
can proceed with omsa-drivers init.d script -- it should load the
appropriate modules for your hardware.

Br,
--
Pauli Borodulin <pauli.borodulin at uta.fi>