trying to build the OMSA kernel modules

Pauli Borodulin pauli.borodulin at uta.fi
Tue Jul 5 14:48:40 CDT 2005

Heya again!

Tomas Pospisek's Mailing Lists wrote:
> It looks like you are definitively making my day.... have you had any
> success with 2.4 kernels? I seem to be unable to boot into 2.6 so far.

I have not tried it with 2.4 kernels because we only run the newer 2.6
serie. Linux 2.6 has been working on our PE1850/2850 servers without
problems for a half year now. It also has more decent drivers than the
old 2.4. I'm not really that interested in figuring out how to get the
OMSA modules compile with 2.4 kernel, but I can look into it if there's
really no way for you to run 2.6.

What kind of problems did you have with Linux 2.6? All you need is to
install Debian package "module-init-tools" and then compile & install
new 2.6 kernel. I can provide you a generic PowerEdge 1850 kernel config
for 2.6.12.2. You can then add the extra drivers/features you need and
just compile and install. Or, I can compile 2.6.12.2 kernel for you
using our generic PE1850 kernel config and also add the OMSA drivers to
it -- I can then create a tar file of it and you just extract the file
in the root directory and add entry to GRUB's menu.lst. You choose :-)

PS. Did you read my email about my "Dell OMSA 4.4 on Debian Sarge"
documentation? I really recommend using my init.d script for loading the
kernel modules instead that instsvcdrv script.

Br,
--
Pauli Borodulin <pauli.borodulin at uta.fi>
Systems Analyst, tel. +358 3 3551 7892