trying to build the OMSA kernel modules

Pauli Borodulin pauli.borodulin at uta.fi
Tue Jul 5 13:35:37 CDT 2005

tman_dell at trejan.com wrote:
> The modules are built by Dell and you only get the module binary.

This is not true, at least not for OMSA 4.3 and 4.4. Part of the driver
modules are distributed as source code, part in precompiled object files.

 > The
> modules are very specific to the kernel versions they work on.

Modules are. But the precompiled object files aren't. CONFIG_REGPARM has
to be enabled in the kernel, tho'. I found out that compiling OMSA
driver modules with kernel without CONFIG_REGPARM enabled ended up in
crash when loading the modules.

> The conversion from a RPM to a .deb just means you can use the Debian
> package management tools.  It doesn't recompile the modules themselves
> as the source is not included and isn't available.

With OMSA 4.3 and 4.4, user is able to compile the module himself --
module API part is in the source code, precompiled objects are just
linked in. This works without troubles at least with Linux 2.6.

Br,
--
Pauli Borodulin <pauli.borodulin at uta.fi>
Systems Analyst, tel. +358 3 3551 7892