Migrating single-disk server to RAID

Basil Hussain basil.hussain at kodakweddings.com
Fri Jul 1 03:43:14 CDT 2005

Hi,

I'm not quite sure what you mean...

There is a procedure documented in the PERC3 documentation[1] to migrate a
single, pre-installed, non-RAID drive onto a PERC3 RAID controller.

Apparently, according to a couple of posts I found on the DellTalk forums,
plus a brief mention in the other PERC docs[2], there is a 'RAID Migration'
feature in the PERC3 WebBIOS that you can then use to migrate the
single-disk RAID0 array (resulting from the above procedure) to a 2-disk
RAID1 array by adding a disk.

Now, in order to do this, I obviously need to prepare Linux beforehand to
work with the PERC - i.e. I need to have the megaraid module loaded and
configured, etc. This is the area where I am not sure exactly what to do.

If I am being a bit naïve in assuming that this would all work wonderfully,
when in fact there are major pitfalls, or it won't work at all, I will have
to look at another method.

Regards,

--
Basil Hussain
I.T. Systems Developer and Administrator, Kodak Weddings
basil.hussain at kodakweddings.com

[1]
http://docs.euro.dell.com/docs/storage/RAID/PERC3dc/ug/en/chap5.htm#1054896
[2]