High failure rate on the PV220s, possible recall?

Michael Halligan michael.halligan at mypointscorp.com
Wed Jan 26 11:23:00 CST 2005

By the end of the week, we'll have had 4 full replacements of pv220s jbods.
We had two fail this week. I had a good conversation with a friend of mine,
who has also had two fail within the past week. Completely different
environments, same systems. With "Luck", our downed systems have only been
testing database systems, and pre-tape backup cache, so we haven't lost any
data, my friend on the other hand, has lost quite a bit of data.

>From my conversations on this list about these boxes, I am not alone. Has
Dell admitted it's problems and issued a recall, or just gotten better about
admitting fault on these?

Three months ago when we'd have a failure, Dell would make us run dset, and
a host of other useless debugging tools for days before they would start the
process over again, coming up with things like "that raid card doesn't work
with that jbod" (conflicting what our salesperson, and a level 3 tech would
tell us)..  Yesterday when our second in two days failed, we had an
agreement to get replacements.. Maybe we've just gotten better at telling
tech support how to do their jobs?