Network Card problem on Dell PowerEdge 2650

Alexey Yamilov yamilov at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 24 14:21:01 CST 2005

I installed FC3 (2.6.9-1.667) on my new Dell PowerEdge 2650.

This is dual Xeon 2.8GHz box. Installation went smooth. However, when I
boot up, the system hangs at "enabling swap space" for about 2hours,
but eventually boots up.

I have a problem with configuring the network access to this box. It
came with three networkcards:
eth0:Intel 82557/8/9
eth1,2:two BCM5703X

I have a local network, where multiple systems (including the one in
question) are connected to a router.

Here are several tests I could come up with
1. I disabled iptables
2. I disabled eth1,2. Only eth0 is active.
3. I can ping the system successfully from another computer in the
network, as well as from within the system itself.
4. I can ssh to the machine from its own terminal.
5. I cannot ssh to the machine from another computer in the network.
6. When I run nmap on the system it tells me that port 22 is open for
connenction.
7. When I run nmap from another computer, it gives me totally different
list of open ports (not the same as in 6). This list does not include
port 22.
8. Port 80 does look open. I can https://10.0.0.10/ to the system
9. ifconfig shows me that lo and eth0 interfaces are running normally.
10. dmesg |grep eth contains the following lines, that I cannot
interpete myself:
divert: allocating divert_blk for eth0
device entered promiscuous mode
11. From this system I cannot ssh (or ping) any other computers in my
network: it give me "no route to host" error. I always call the host by
IP, not the host name.
12. The output of netstat -r looks ok
Kernel IP routing table
"Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window
irtt Iface
10.0.0.0        *               255.255.255.0   U         0 0
0 eth0
169.254.0.0     *               255.255.0.0     U         0 0
0 eth0
default         10.0.0.1        0.0.0.0         UG        0 0
0 eth0"
13. My gateway configuration is the same as on the other computers that
work fine.

I would appreciate any comments suggestion.
Thanks,
Alex.