dell-lnx-pe] Re: Stripping RHEL 3.0?

jason andrade jason at rtfmconsult.com
Sat Jan 15 16:54:00 CST 2005

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005, R P Herrold wrote:

>>>   Due to all the dependencies
>>> I can't find a way to actually strip RHEL in a way
>>> that leaves everything happy.
>
> Great timing and a good question -- I was just building such a host.  I'll
> test for a bit to minimize size.  Kickstart and anaconda are your friends.

it depends on what you are minimizing for.  i don't care about size so much
as security, ease of documentation and change control.

this is a typical 'cut down' server here:

# rpm -qa | wc
     260     260    4803

it is definitely possible to cut this down even more if you don't need any
compilers etc.. (e.g perhaps for some firewalls) but the above works for
us. how far had you got ?

regards,

-jason