rhel-as 3U3 kernel on PE1850

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at starnetworks.us
Fri Oct 29 17:28:01 CDT 2004

Matt Clark wrote:

> 'full power' might be stretching it.  The EM64T chips can address more
> memory without PAE hackery, and have a few (a few, not a lot) more physical
> registers, but that's about it.  It's not like they have better
> buses/caches/whatever.  Unlike Opterons, which have shedloads more registers
> and much better memory bandwidth - *especially* useful for multi-CPU boxes
> like, er, Dell servers (hint hint).

While I'll agree that the EM64T (Nocona) Xeon processors are not as
large an improvement as the Opterons are, they _do_ have better busses
and caches than previous Xeons, and the supporting chipsets are
significantly improved as well.

I've never seen a Xeon DP/MP machine (previous generation) that had an
800MHz FSB, supported dual-channel DDR2 RAM, or had a 3+ GHz on-chip cache.