Interesting Problem

Eberhard Moenkeberg emoenke at gwdg.de
Fri Oct 29 15:12:01 CDT 2004

Hi,

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004, Sturgis, Grant wrote:

> I am seeing an interesting problem that I can't seem to gain any headway
> with.  Here are a few symptoms:
>
> ssh to the system yields:
>
> [root at master root]# ssh n28
> Received disconnect from 192.168.0.28: 2: Protocol error: no matching DH
> grp found
>
> This happens when using keys or passwords
>
> rsh (I know, rsh is bad..this is a backrail network) to the system
> yields:
>
> [root at master root]# rsh n28
> You have new mail.
> bash: /root/.bash_profile: Input/output error
> bash-2.05#
>
> but rsh as a regular user (not root) works (at least gives you a shell).
>
> Executing most any command gives this error:
>
> [gsturgis at n28 gsturgis]$ tail /var/log/messages
> bash: /usr/bin/tail: Input/output error
> [gsturgis at n28 gsturgis]$
>
> Interestingly, ls and mount work OK.  All of the partitions look to be
> mounted OK (mount -a presents no output).
>
> Any ideas?

Maybe my brain is just poisoned from my own experiences, but for me it is
looking like a PE2650 with the typical aacraid or Perc3/Di bug:
all your disks are "disconnected", and only what is in cache is making it
between life and dead.

Cheers -e
--
Eberhard Moenkeberg (emoenke at gwdg.de, em at kki.org)