FW: ResierFS limit on number of directories in a directory?

Matt Clark matt at ymogen.net
Fri Oct 29 14:32:01 CDT 2004

Montz, James C. (James Tower) wrote:

>I'm trying to determine the maximum number of directories allowed under
>ext3
>Days of googling have turned up little.

Days? Ouch.

Dear lad, the trick is to know that ext3 is the same as ext2, so
googling for 'ext2 "per directory"', and taking the 2nd link on the
left, down the street:
http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0105.0/0164.html

32000 or so is the answer.

>I believe we have reached this limit in a flat file system on ext3
>(32,000?)

Yup, 32000

>Does anyone know what this limitation is in ReiserFS, or perhaps another
>ES3 compatible FS?

There are no 'other ES3 compatible FSs', as googling "rhel filesystems"
would have told you.  As for ReiserFS, to answer that would involve
getting a straight answer out of Hans Reiser ;-)  How about we google
'xfs "per directory"' for a laugh.  Ooh, 5th link, we don't even have to
look at the page, the google summary says 'millions of files per directory'.

>Performance? Issue?

Que?

Oh hell, I'm in a cranky mood, sorry.  I hope your problem is fixed soon.