Aiby II and Dell 1600SC

Basil Hussain basil.hussain at kodakweddings.com
Fri Oct 29 04:15:00 CDT 2004

Hi,

So, you have one of the Aiby II units as described on this page, yes?

http://www.maxtronic.com.tw/products/pur.htm

May I ask, as the Aiby unit itself does its own RAID processing, why you are
connecting it to the external channel of your PERC4/SC card? It doesn't make
sense to have an external RAID unit controlled by an internal RAID
controller (you are trying to do IDE->RAID->SCSI->RAID). The only possible
way you might get this to work would be to have the Aiby 'drive' (as the
PERC sees it) configured as JBOD, or possibly a one-disk RAID 0.

Anyway, what you should be doing is connecting the Aiby to a 'straight' SCSI
channel (e.g. via a PCI card for the 1600SC, for example Adaptec 39160). I'm
pretty sure you can't get the external connector of a PERC4/SC to operate in
straight SCSI mode, as the board is only single-channel.

Being single-channel, your problems are likely to do with clashing SCSI IDs
or termination. I believe on the PERC4/SC, both the internal and external
connectors both belong to the same channel, so your internal drives and the
Aiby unit are sharing the same SCSI bus. So, check that the Aiby unit has a
SCSI ID set that doesn't clash with any of the 1600's internal drives, and
make sure it has termination set appropriately (probably a front-panel menu
option, or you may need an external terminator).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

--
Basil Hussain
I.T. Systems Developer and Administrator, Kodak Weddings
basil.hussain at kodakweddings.com