Aiby II and Dell 1600SC

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu m3freak at rogers.com
Thu Oct 28 22:48:01 CDT 2004

Hi Everyone,

Let me introduce myself: my name is Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu, and this is my
first post to this mailing list.  I found out about this list from an
article on a website sometime last year, but have only now subscribed.

My question isn't quite on topic because the problem isn't with Linux
distribution (at least it wasn't at first).  If it is off topic, I
apologize and will go elsewhere.

Anyway, we have a Dell PowerEdge 1600SC running RHEL 3.  We recently
purchased an Aiby II to use as an external storage device for backups.
It's connected to the external port of the PERC4/SC RAID card.  The Aiby
II is setup as RAID 5 (four drives), and the server's internal SCSI
drives are setup as RAID 1 (2 drives).

Upon connecting the Aiby II to the server and booting the server (the
power on the Aiby was turned on first), the server started to scream
(the mega-horn, as I like to call it).  Upon entering the RAID
controller's config utility, I discovered the second SCSI drive in RAID
1 (ID #1) had failed.

Poking around a little more, and I noticed that the response from the
RAID utility starts to slow down.  I took a look at the status of the
physical drives, and the controller appears to be having a hard time
communicating with the Aiby II.  For example, sometimes the Aiby is
detected as a 80MB/Sec device, other times it's detected as a 40MB/Sec
device.  There are also frequent lock ups (or what appear to be lock
ups) in the config utility.

The Aiby II itself will not initialize (keep receiving errors) after I
configured it as a separate logical drive.

The Aiby II is connected to the external connector of the PERC4/SC with
a HPD to VHDCI SCSI cable (it's brand new).  But, I'm starting to
suspect that the cable is faulty.

Also, now when the server boots, there are a bunch of I/O errors being
reported on drive 1 of the server's internal array.

Does anyone have any insight into what the problem might be or where I
should look?  I'm plumb out of ideas (as well as my co-worker), and for
the life, I cannot figure out why the RAID controller isn't working with
the Aiby II.  As far as I can tell from the Aiby II's LCD interface,
it's functioning normally.

I would appreciate any pointers.  Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Ranbir

--
Ranbir