Installing Mandrake 10.0 onto a PowerEdge 1850 with the Perc 4e/Si card (mini-howto)
m.watts at eris.qinetiq.com
Thu Oct 28 05:01:00 CDT 2004
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Since it's non-obvious how to do this with Mandrake 10.0 (and probably
Mandrake 10.1) I thought I'd share my experience.
The 2.6.3 kernel in Mandrake 10.0 (certainly the boot kernel used by the
installer) doesn't support the Perc 4e/Si card with its megaraid driver.
I don't think the Mandrake 10.1 2.6.8 kernel supports the card either.
The 2.4.25mdk kernel does.
In order to get a bootable system, you need to do the following:
1) Boot from Install CD #1
2) Hit F1 at the initial welcome screen, and boot lilo with the 'alt1' option
3) When you get to the first propper (in X) installer screen, switch to TTY2
4) Type 'modprobe megaraid2'
5) Switch back to TTY7 and continue the install as normal. Note: the 2.4.25 UP
kernel is already selected for you, but you will also see some 2.6.3 kernels
selected (for SMP/himem). You will likely want to change these to their
6) When you get to the very last screen prompting you to reboot, switch to
7) type 'chroot /mnt'. You are now chrooted to / on your disks.
8) Edit /etc/modules.conf and add 'megaraid2' after the 'probeall
scsi_hostadapter', but on the same line.
9) Rebuild your initrd's (mkinitrd -f /boot/initrd-2.4.25-2mdk.img
2.4.25-2mdk), or similar, for each kernel you hve installed.
10) Run lilo to update the boot loader.
11) Switch back to TTY7 and reboot!
You now have a working server, albiet one running with a 2.4 kernel instead of
a 2.6 one.
Installing/compiling 2.6.9 from kernel.org is left as an exercise for the
reader. (2.6.9 apparently has a new enough megaraid driver to support this
Once the 2.6.9 kernel hits the Mandrake 'cooker' tree, you should be able to
drop that onto a 10.0/10.1 system without too much difficulty.
I hope this helps the Mandrake users out there :)
Senior Systems Engineer
QinetiQ Trusted Information Management
Trusted Solutions and Services group
GPG Public Key ID: 455420ED
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (GNU/Linux)
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
More information about the Linux-PowerEdge