PE1850 BIOS update without X Window

Carl Morgan (DCG RMB) rmb_list at dcgdatapoint.com
Thu Oct 28 04:49:01 CDT 2004

If you have an XWindows server running somewhere in the network on the
client machine to be updated, run

server:>  xhost +

client:>  export DISPLAY="<server ip address>:0.0"

The server command opens up the machine from a X security perspective, but
allows other clients to present a display.  The client command sets the X
display variable to point at the right X server.  The 0.0 is the screen
number.  The run the update package and the X client window will appear on
the server machine.

Another option is to run VNC server on the machine and connect remotely to
it.

Hope that helps,

Carl