PERC3/Di crashed again

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Thu Oct 21 09:14:01 CDT 2004

On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 09:27:25AM +0200, Matthias Pigulla wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> after upgrading our PERC3/Di firmware to 2.8-0[6092] and building a
> custom 2.4.27 kernel with the aacraid driver provided by Adaptec
> (version 1.1-5), our box has been running smoothly since mid-september -
> until tonight. Before the upgrade, the crashes occured once every three
> to six weeks, so that seems to be pretty much the same timespan.

[snip]

> As Matt requested in
> http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2004-September/021972
> .html, I'll give the German DELL tech support a call on friday and will
> try to feed this through the "official channels";

Thank you!

> I'll report on this list how things proceed.

Assuming you've only rebooted once (to clear the error and return the
system to operational state), I'd love to get the results from afacli
of this (tech support can use it too):
# afacli

open afa0
logfile start matthias-crash.log
diag dump text
 (press C to continue the whole dump)
container list
disk list
logfile end
exit

and then send me the file matthias-crash.log it created in the current
working directory.  Also, what kind of disks do you have in the
system, and the disk(s) in particular if any that show up in the diag
dump.

If anyone else has a similar failure, the above will capture what the
controller firmware last saw as a failure.  This is crucial to
tracking down the problem.

Thanks,
Matt

--