the 'right' way to rebuild a container

George Lengel lengel at rhk-tech.com
Fri Oct 15 17:09:01 CDT 2004

Subject:        	Re: the 'right' way to rebuild a container
From:           	Greg Dickie <greg at max-t.com>
To:             	"Glenn L. Wentworth" <gwentworth at acquiremedia.com>
Copies to:      	linux-poweredge at dell.com
Date sent:      	Fri, 15 Oct 2004 16:55:31 -0400

> Errr haven't had to do this with a Dell (Adaptec/LSI) RAID yet but
> for me thats mostly the point of RAID, you don't go down when you
> lose a disk. I'd hope you can safely rebuild on a live system....

I would think the more correct statement is that's the point of
hotswap drives. The point of RAID is to save all data when a drive
fails and not need to go to backup tape. However, even with RAID if
the drive cannot be plugged while running the box, it has to be
brought down and then the RAID rebuilt upon restart. With
RAID+hotplug there should be no downtime. Now maybe these days RAID
implies hotplug also, but I think there are still cases where you
can have RAID and not use hotplug devices so the computer has to be
turned off to exchange the faulty drive.

> > If there is not a downside to hot swapping a failed drive while
> > the system is running why does Dell have the support techs tell
> > customers to rebuild the raid array with the machine off-line?
> > And other than being off-line for 4 hours are there other pros and
> > cons to the two ways of fixing a raid array with a failed drive?

This seems really really silly to me. Why pay for the extra expense
of a fancy RAID controller and hotswap drives if you do not use the
capabilities? I would really wonder what that Dell support person
was thinking.

--------
George Lengel
RHK Technology, Inc.
1050 East Maple Road                Tel: (248) 577-5426
Troy, MI 48083  USA                 Fax: (248) 577-5433
http://www.rhk-tech.com             lengel at rhk-tech.com