Problems with Dell-Poweredge 1750

Will Dyson will.dyson at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 10:15:01 CDT 2004

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 16:18:04 +0200, nikster <nikster at antivir.de> wrote:
> Hello,
> i have  got a problem with my configuration of the Dell Poweredge 1750
> It is configured Raid 5 (Hardware).
> I have installed Gentoo-Linux and compiled a 2.6.8 Kernel with Megaraid2
> support.
> The Problem is, it hangs while booting with the following Messages:

> Detecting Adaptec I2O Raid Controllers
> Redhat Adaptect aacraid driver (1.1.2-lk2 Oct 11 2004)
> scsi <fdomain> Detection failed (no Card)
> NCR53c406a: no available Ports found
> sym53c416.c Version-1.0.0ac
>
> I'm not really a pro with Raid and it is my first Dell Server, so I'm
> not sure if I have miconfigured my RAID or my Kernel.
> If any you of has an Idea about that  or knows the Answer or just needs
> more Information please let me know.

It seems as though lots of scsi drivers are loading and probing for
hardware. The last one that prints a message is probably the one at
fault.

Questions:

Have you compiled the megaraid driver into the kernel image, or are
you loading it as a module from an initrd?

What version is the Gentoo install kernal that (presumably) worked?

You configured the RAID5 logical drive through the megaraid bios?

Can you give a more complete boot log?

Suggestion:

Compile a new kernel with megaraid as the only scsi driver (assuming
you haven't got any other scsi cards in the system). Do not compile it
as a module.

--
Will Dyson - Consultant
http://www.lucidts.com/