PE-2650 query on full/half duplex

Tim Pickard tpickard at crossref.org
Thu Oct 14 07:27:01 CDT 2004

Hi Phil,

The effect of half duplex depends on what your switch is set to.  They need
to be at the same duplex for full effect.  It may be that the 2650 is
autonegotiating with the switch for half duplex.  Do you have a specific
reason to run at half duplex rather than full?  My Cisco switches seem to
autoneg at half by default and I set them to full.

To force settings on the ethernet controllers you would edit the
/etc/modules.conf file.

Mine looks like:
alias eth0 bcm5700
alias eth1 bcm5700
options bcm5700 line_speed=1000,1000 auto_speed=0,0 full_duplex=1,1

I am using the Broadcom drivers currently instead of the tg3.  I will give
the tg3 a try when I apply the recent RedHat update.  I believe the tg3
parameters for the modules.conf options are different.   You may find them
in the list archive.

Hope this helps.

Tim

Tim Pickard
Systems Support Analyst and Administrator
40 Salem Street
Lynnfield, MA  01940
p.781-295-0072
f.781-295-0077