Definitive recommendation for bonding Broadcom NICS?

Andrew Weisz andrew at aei.on.ca
Wed Oct 13 12:45:01 CDT 2004

Kevin,

There shouldn't be a need to recompile the bcm5700 kernel driver
as the tg3 driver should get the job done. I have 4 PE 2650's running
Red Hat ES 3 Update 2 and the tg3 driver works just fine under a
bonded configuration (active-standby mode) using the bonding driver.
And it actually works just fine! The bonded configuration using the
tg3 driver also works without issues under heavy loads (since I perform
remote backups over the Gibabit network to a Tape Library).

There were issues with the tg3 driver (not being able to set speed
and duplex) and bonding (ARP issues) on Red Hat ES, the original.
These issues disappeared after Update 2.

Hope that helps.

Best Regards,
Andrew.