megaraid mount points

Greg Dickie greg at max-t.com
Tue Oct 12 12:37:01 CDT 2004

Use fdisk, or a variant to partition the disk as you want. Its basically
the exact sequence of operations you would do on a new physical disk.
Partition, then make filesystems on the partitions. You do know that in
RAID 0 if you lose a disk, you lose everything right?

Greg

On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 12:54, Jamie Glendinning wrote:
> Hi Greg
>
> thanks for the info.
>
> I have ran cat /proc/scsi/scsi
> ==================================
> Attached devices:
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
>   Vendor: MegaRAID Model: LD 0 RAID0   69G Rev: 412W
>   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 04 Id: 06 Lun: 00
>   Vendor: PE/PV    Model: 1x3 SCSI BP      Rev: 1.1
>   Type:   Processor                        ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> ==================================
>
> so it does recognise that the megaraid device is loaded.
>
> if I do cat /proc/partitions
> I get:
> ==================================
> major minor  #blocks  name
>
>    8     0   71024640 sda
>
> ==================================
>
> I have just created a raid 0 logical drive. this has not been
> partitioned or formated yet.
>
> when I insmod megarad2
> I get the following:
> ==================================
> scsi device sda 14204920 512-byte hdwr sectors (72729mb)
> sda: unknown partition table
> ==================================
>
> any suggestions as to what I need to do to access the disk to either
> partition it or format it so that I can eventually mount it?
>
> cheers
>
> jamie

> Your logical drives should show up as normal SCSI drives in
> /proc/scsi/scsi and there should therefore be devices already in
> /dev/sd? . Of course you might not see any partitions if the logical
> disk hasn't been partitioned (check /proc/partitions).
>
> HTH,
> Greg

> postmaster at engl.co.uk.
>
> This email message has been swept for the presence of computer viruses.
Greg Dickie
just a guy
Maximum Throughput