NAS questions

McCann, Sean mccanns at
Tue Oct 5 12:37:01 CDT 2004

Storage Server 2003 is just windows 2003 with services for unix and some
web management stuff. The snapshot/rollback is just Volume shadow copy
built in to Windows 2003 server. This solution is mainly for those
people who don't know what they are doing and want a complete Microsoft
solution. I demoed the PV745N and wasn't impressed with WSS 2003, also I
was having problems getting it talking to our NIS domain. I would
suggest getting the PE1750 and external RAID running what ever flavor of
linux you like with samba or just running Windows 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-admin at
[mailto:linux-poweredge-admin at] On Behalf Of Tom Knight
Sent: Monday, October 04, 2004 11:06 AM
To: linux-poweredge at
Subject: NAS questions

I'm doing some work for a(nother) university department and I've been
they're after some sort of NAS. Now, they're heavily into Dell
(hurrah!), so
I thought I'd see what sort of product they'd be buying. Both the PV745N
PV775N some with "Microsoft Storage Server 2003".

* What does this do that (SuSE) Linux can't do (snapshot/rollback?)?
* Why not just buy a PE1750 and install a PERC4 card (for external

Am I missing somthing here? It seems to me that these are just normal
servers, running an MS product that's geared for this particular task.

The NAS would be used primarily by internal workers but I've been told
outside users might also be allowed access (i.e. from outside the
University).... huh? Is this a normal requirement? No, there's no VPN
(yet). I'm told that "a few hundred gig should be fine", but we all know
that ends up, so external storage may be needed in the end, but that's

I'm not really anti-Microsoft, it's just that I'm probably better at
after Linux boxes... not to mention that they can be better at looking
themselves ;-)

Help/thoughts/advice appreciated.

Tom Knight
System Administration Officer