NAS questions

Tom Knight thomas.knight at ahds.ac.uk
Tue Oct 5 10:07:00 CDT 2004

Hi,

I'm doing some work for a(nother) university department and I've been told
they're after some sort of NAS. Now, they're heavily into Dell (hurrah!), so
I thought I'd see what sort of product they'd be buying. Both the PV745N and
PV775N some with "Microsoft Storage Server 2003".

* What does this do that (SuSE) Linux can't do (snapshot/rollback?)?
* Why not just buy a PE1750 and install a PERC4 card (for external RAIDs)?

Am I missing somthing here? It seems to me that these are just normal
servers, running an MS product that's geared for this particular task.

The NAS would be used primarily by internal workers but I've been told that
outside users might also be allowed access (i.e. from outside the
University).... huh? Is this a normal requirement? No, there's no VPN here
(yet). I'm told that "a few hundred gig should be fine", but we all know how
that ends up, so external storage may be needed in the end, but that's easy
enough.

I'm not really anti-Microsoft, it's just that I'm probably better at looking
after Linux boxes... not to mention that they can be better at looking after
themselves ;-)

Help/thoughts/advice appreciated.

Tom.

--