Need basic RAID info

BHohl@grotecompany.com BHohl at grotecompany.com
Tue Oct 5 08:34:00 CDT 2004

>On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, Jan-Frode Myklebust wrote:
> If there is interest I might just document this in a HOWTO, would also be

practical for myself ;)
> Jan

Thank you for the information regarding the monitoring script that is one
of two things I needed.  The other is procedures for basic pre-production
testing and disk management.

Firstly, how to add and configure a failover disk (hot spare).  I can't
find any howto like examples in the Dell CLI Guide and I am having
difficulty understanding if for RAID-5 I should be using:
AFA0> controller set automatic_failover /failover_enbled=true
or
AFA0> container set global_failover <SCSI device ID>

Secondly, how to replace a "failed" RAID disk in the case where there are
no fail over disks (hot spares).  What command shows the status of RAID
being rebuilt?

Thirdly, how to replace a failover disk (hot spare) that was used by the
RAID-5 after failure of a RAID disk.

Thanks to any one who has such a write up and can provide it, or can
outline the basic procedure, or can point me to Dell docs that cover these
items.