building BIOS updates on a non-Dell machine

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Mon Oct 4 16:28:01 CDT 2004

On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 05:15:52PM -0400, Greg Dickie wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   I'm looking at the .bin files to generate BIOS and other firmware
> updates for custom kernels but is there any way to get this to work on a
> generic build machine that is not a Dell. WE don't keep source code on
> production machines so I'd like to build on a central build machine. I
> can do this for many things right now by playing a few tricks with DKS
> but these scripts don't seem to allow that.

Your tricks with DKS should help you.  The BIOS and firmware update
packages first look to see if OMSA is installed, and if so, uses
that.  That's where your "tricks" should solve it I hope.

Other than that, no, DKS doesn't have a way (ala DKMS) to have a
build system different from the target system.  Its a known feature
request though.

Thanks,
Matt

--