Need basic RAID info

Jan-Frode Myklebust janfrode at
Mon Oct 4 16:15:01 CDT 2004

On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 08:16:54PM +0200, Jan Meijer wrote:
> Don't listen to that silly advice.  There is no need to drop that
> hardware-raid.

Why was that a silly advice? Have you seen how many people have
problems with I/O errors when using the built in raid controller on
the PE2650 ? Ref. even with the latest firmware:

For us this RAID-controller has caused way more problems than faulty
disks on our PowerEdge servers.

Even without these problems I would still prefer doing software raid
because of the simplified monitoring, and for having one set of tools
for admining all raids, no matter what vendor the server came from.